Friday, September 5, 2008

Death Chicken, AKA Poulet de la mort

Death Chicken
From: eleanorigby

First of all, it's called Death Chicken because it's post-funeral food, which is some of the best food on the planet. Not sure about that claim? Go to a random funeral and then go eat something--bound to taste finger lickin' good. One reason it's post-funeral food is that it takes awhile to cook in the oven, so you make it, go to the service (skip the graveside) and come home and eat.

Note: do NOT jack with these ingredients until you have made it at least once first. Yes, all of them need to be in it. Go with it. Have a little faith, people--listen to the pastor at that service, mmkay?

Death Chicken:

Line a 9x13 pan with raw bacon--use 6 or more slices (and none of that damned Canadian crap--bacon, folks. Not hickory smoked or maple syrup injected. BACON)
One cup of uncooked (white, not instant) rice--pour evenly OVER the bacon.

Put some chicken pieces on top of the rice. I tend to do boneless thighs and/or breasts. Leave the skin on (or off).
Salt and pepper the chicken a bit.
Sprinkle some paprika over the chicken. No, I don't know how much. Just keep in mind you're not making chicken paprikash.

In a separate bowl, mix (whisk) together the following:
1 can cream of chicken soup (I use Campbell's--I bet you food snobs do too).
1 cup water
little bit o' garlic salt
pinch o' nutmeg (you heard me)--I add 2 pinches
1 teaspoon of oregano (dried)
2-3 tablespoons of dried parsley flakes (or fresh parley)

Mix until smooth (I actually whisk the soup and water together and then add the spices. It seems sensible.), then POUR mixture over chicken, covering rice (get in the corners).

Cover tightly with foil-heavy is better. Do not peek with this recipe!

Place in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours (I have done 350 for an hour, but it's not as good).


The house will smell divine. You will inhale this. No lie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I messed around with the recipe the second time I made it, I left out the nutmeg and substituted a teaspoon or so of curry powder instead. I used a hot paprika rather than a sweet one. I also added fresh crushed garlic to the liquid ingredients rather than garlic salt. Also added finely chopped crimini mushrooms between the rice and the chicken. I have to say I think these changes substantially improved the dish, not that it was shite to begin with, mind you!

Rigs said...

Smart-aleq cannot follow directions. How will the world profit, if it doesn't listen to me?

And I suppose now is the time to say that I got this recipe from the Sweet Potato Queens book by Jill someone (too lazy to go find out her name). Maybe Jill Brown. Dunno. Anyhoo, it's better with thighs than breasts and yes, Aleq, it does have the grace of allowing many different combos of flavors. Knock yourself out!

Jill B said...

Heavenly day! Jill Connor Browne and the Sweet Potato Queens originated in Jackson, Mississippi. How funny that I never knew of this recipe until knowing you, 'rigs. :p

Jill B said...

Heavenly day! Jill Connor Browne and the Sweet Potato Queens originated in Jackson, Mississippi. How funny that I never knew of this recipe until knowing you, 'rigs. :p