Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bourbon Balls (Link)

Bourbon Balls
Shared by gardentraveler
From: The Joy of Baking

Of course, because it's me, I didn't make it exactly like the recipe. The recipe calls for 2 cups of vanilla wafer crumbs, which, it turns out, isn't the whole box. So, I adjusted ingredient amounts to go with the whole box. Also, I didn't toast the walnuts because I'm lazy.

I've done everything by weight because it's much easier to make sure that I've got the right amounts. If you don't have one (and bake from scratch at all) you really need to get a scale. But, for the scale-impaired, I've added dry measures.

275 g crushed vanilla wafers (2 1/4 c)
125 g chopped walnuts (1 1/8 c)
65 g confectioner's sugar (generous 1/4 c)
17 g cocoa (2 rounded tablespoons)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons corn syrup
1/3 c bourbon (you can use rum instead for Rum Balls)

I recommend sifting both the cocoa and the sugar so that they combine more evenly (I wound up sifting the mixture retrospectively, which was a pain because I kept having to dump out the walnuts.)

In any case: you mix all the dry ingredients, add the corn syrup and bourbon and mix together. I mixed with a spatula (one of those nifty silicon ones) and then by hand. You can refrigerate for a while at this point or continue and form 1 in. balls and roll them in sifted confectioner's sugar. Age in a tin for a while to allow the flavors to blend.

No comments: