Monday, February 22, 2010

Get-Well Garden Soup

Get-Well Garden Soup
From: gardentraveler

I've had this recipe for more than 25 years and made it at least once a year. Very yummy. This is one of a very few recipes that I make pretty much as instructed. I usually make the broth using a cut up chicken. Sometimes, I'll add leeks in addition to the onion. I generally use a whole package of chopped spinach.

Make your own chicken broth for more flavor: Cover 4-5 pounds of backs, necks and giblets and/or a chicken desired for other use, with 6 cups of water. Use bouillon for salt. Add onion, celery tops and base of stalk, a carrot and a garlic bud for additional flavor. Simmer for a couple of hours, drain and cool.

Saute in chicken fat or butter the following: 1 c. finely diced onion, 1 c. finely diced carrot, 1 c. finely diced celery, 1 minced garlic bud, 3 T. raw rice.

Add the vegetable mixture to 5 c. chicken broth, with 1/2 package chopped spinach, defrosted. Simmer 10-20 minutes, but don't overcook the vegetables. When ready to serv, add 1 pint 1/2 and 1/2. If you like spinach, add the whole package.

One of my all-time favorite soups. I'm always sad when it's all gone.

No comments: