Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce
From: gardentraveler

I posted this in the cranberry sauce thread in Cafe Society. My sauce turned out extra-good this year.

I've been making variations on the same cranberry sauce for about 20 years. This year's version:

1 12-oz bag cranberries
1/2 apple, chopped (I used a Honeycrisp apple that was getting a bit wrinkly)
1 clementine, cut into wedges (unpeeled) and seeded
1/4 lemon (also unpeeled) and seeded
1/2 cup dried Zante currants
1/4 c white wine (maybe less, I didn't measure)
1/4 teaspoon Penzey's Baking Spice (or a combination of cinnamon, cloves and other spices you like)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Chop clementine and 1/4 lemon finely in a food processer (I have a chopper attachment on my immersion blender that is perfect for this)

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil for a few minutes (I'm pretty sure it was less than 10) until the berries start to burst. It came out much less jelled than usual, more like a compote, which I prefer. I think it's because I didn't get distracted and let it overcook. My friends who came to dinner each had two helpings and took some with leftovers, so I'm pretty sure they liked it.

No comments: