Monday, February 23, 2009

Eyetalian Stuffed Peppers - Not quite there yet

Eyetalian Stuffed Peppers
From: VunderBob

Another failed recipe that has promise. I'm trying to recreate Eyetalian Stuffed Peppers that I get at a little place we frequent in Franklin VA. This one failed for 2 reasons: I didn't bake long enough (and at too high of a temperature), and there was not enough marinara to suit me.

Corrective actions for next attempt will be listed afterwards.

What I did:
Quote:
4 large green peppers
1 lb hamburger
1 lb mild bulk sausage
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
unknown amount of shredded Parmesan cheese (maybe 1/2 cup)
Marinara sauce (I used about 1/4 of a jar)

Fry the burger and sausage together, Chop well, so you have crumbles when you're done. Core and clean peppers, then cut in half so the hlaves will lay flat in pan or sheet. Fill with meat mixture, then put maybe a teaspoon full of Parmesan on the meat filling. Add a dollop or two of marinara over the Parmesan, and cover the sauce with as much mozzarella as you can (or like). Bake 20 minutes at 350F.
What I'll do different next time: double the marinara, or even mix some in the meat before dolloping. I likes 'mater sauce... Oh, I'll bake at maybe 250 for 45 minutes, 'cuz the peppers weren't soft enough and the cheese got crusty too soon. I 'like crusty cheese like that, but not crunchy peppers.

Recommendation from Rebo:
Bobbio, try parboiling the peppers after you halve and clean them. Just dunk in boiling water for a couple of minutes. They will be much more tender. I would definitely add some of the marinara in with the meat. Hunt's makes a "meatloaf" tomato sauce that's pretty good, too.

No comments: