Saturday, June 29, 2013

Chicken with Teriyaki-ish Sauce (AKA Caramelized Onion Chicken)

Chicken with Teriyaki-ish Sauce
From FairyChatMom

Supper was good - it was a recipe from a diabetic diet cookbook. The chicken and onions were simmered in a sauce of peach preserves, wine vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger - kinda like teriyaki with a little fruit. We decided when we have it again, I'm going to sauté some more veggies - green beans, julienned carrots, shredded cabbage, mushrooms, zucchini... The recipe also said you can use orange marmalade, apricot jam, or raspberry jam, and you could use pork instead of chicken. I think the recipe is a keeper.

From a later MMP - the actual recipe

Caramelized Onion Chicken – from The Diabetes Comfort Food Cookbook

1/2 cup no-sugar-added jam (peach, apricot, red raspberry, or orange marmalade)
1½ tsp fresh grated ginger (I used ground ginger)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce

Mix the above together and set aside.

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, ½” thick – I recommend cutting them into bite-size pieces, but strips work, too
Salt and pepper to taste.

1½ Tbsp canola oil (I’ve also used olive oil)

One medium onion, halved and sliced (I use a big onion – I like onions!)

Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in large skillet. Sear chicken for about 5 minutes per side or till done. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add remaining oil to skillet. Sauté about 4-5 minutes till browned. Add jam sauce and lower the heat to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken and cook 2 more minutes.

We eat it over rice and it's enough for 2. I bet it’d be good over noodles also. I think mushrooms would be a nice addition, and maybe peas? Or thinly sliced carrots? The recipe recommends using pork loin in place of the chicken – that also sounds yum!
It's a quick and easy meal. Next time, I'll try pork. I bet it'd be good with unsweetened applesauce instead of jam.

No comments: