Saturday, June 29, 2013

Meatballs

Meatballs
from Silver Tyger

1.25 lbs ground turkey
1.25 lbs ground beef
1 cup-ish whole wheat bread crumbs (I did two pieces of bread in the food processor. Pretty sure it was more than a cup)
1 egg (anybody know why these recipes always call for an egg?)
1/2 onion, diced (threw it in the food processor too. Onions kill me)
3 or so cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup-ish shredded carrot (I did a double handful of baby carrots, in the food processor)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp basil
2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
about 1/2 tsp Angostura bitters (I can't tell if that made a difference or not, so optional)

Mix, form into 2 inch balls, cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I put mine on wire racks on foil lined cookie sheets, but they didn't make as much of a mess as I expected.

I think next time I'll try putting some pureed zucchini and/or spinach in there, because I don't eat enough produce. Oh, and I think cook the onions first so they're a little caramelized, because ah, yeah. They taste good cold too, which was the plan because I'm taking them in my lunch.  

No comments: