Sunday, November 23, 2008

Infinitely Stretchy Chicken Curry-Like Substance

Infinitely Stretchy Chicken Curry-Like Substance
From: SmartAleq

Since I wanted brown rice for it (if I use white rice I'll cook it all together with the chicken) I started two cups of brown rice with six cups water boiling, with some Chicken Better Than Bouillon (I love that stuff!) and turmeric added. When it was almost tender, about 45 minutes or so, I dumped in a can of stewed tomatoes and a big handful of raisins. Then in a skillet I started sauteeing two frozen slabs of boneless skinless chicken breast, cutting it up into small chunks as it thawed. I added about 7-10 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly. When the chicken was nearly cooked I added a bunch of thin sliced onions and red bell peppers, grated a big chunk of fresh ginger into it, then spiced the hell out of it. I added several tablespoons of curry powder, couple tablespoons of cumin, some cinnamon, more turmeric, paprika, a dash of chipotle powder and a dash of crushed red pepper and maybe a half cup of water to get it all moist and sauce-y. Let that simmer for a few minutes, then combined the chicken with the rice mixture, set it on a low simmer and let it go for about a half hour. Then I ate a ton of it! In summer when I make this stuff I also tend to add other fruit to it--canteloupe or honeydew melon, peaches or nectarines, it sounds really weird but the sweetness offsets the spice and it's totally nommy. Mop it up with naan bread for maximum satisfaction!

No comments: