Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Turkey Soup Method

Turkey Soup Method
From: Sigmagirl

Don't have a recipe, really; just a method: Take your turkey carcass and kind of crush it down to minimize the surface area, put it in your pot and barely cover with water. Add a cut-up onion or two (leave the skin on for color!) and a few cloves of garlic. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to barely simmer. Add salt and a few peppercorns, a bay leaf, some sage, thyme and rosemary (rosemary is a migraine trigger for me so I use very little, but I would use a couple of whole sprigs if I could). I cook it just at simmer for about two hours. Strain very well.
I like to add dehydrated vegetables like these because they keep all their color and vitamins, and they're just the right size. My produce market carries them. Maybe it's cheating, but the texture is great and if I used any bigger pieces, my husband would pick them out.

For noodles, I make the dough in my bread machine and put it through twice. We like them big and fat like dumplings. I use 50/50 all-purpose flour and semolina, and use about 1 egg per cup of flour. You just have to get the right consistency by trial and error, adding water a drip at a time. Then we put it through the pasta machine on a wide setting to make sheets and hand-cut the noodles.

If I have any broth left, it's turkey rice soup!

No comments: