Monday, April 28, 2008

Helen (baked) Beans

Helen (baked) Beans
From: VunderBob

This version of the recipe is tailored for a large crowd; this is going from memory yesterday as I mixed them to feed 20 people at my fire station meeting. Adjust up or down for your crowd.

3 large, tall cans of the cheapest pork and beans you can find
2 cups brown sugar
1 baseball sized onion, chopped
2ish cups of ketchup
½ T garlic
2 heaping teaspoons dry mustard
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 T liquid smoke
? Bacon to cover top of beans. Amount depends on the style of pan used.

1 deep 13X9 foil roasting pan fits this amount

Most measurements are not exact. When in doubt, defer to taste.

Mix first eight ingredients, put in pan, and cover with the bacon. Bake at 250-275o for 3-4 hours. These are better down slowly than fast (1-2 hours) at 350o, but I'll do that if I have a time constraint.

Normally, I use cut up ham instead of bacon because of the grease.

No comments: