Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Beer Cheese Soup or Cheesy Beer Soup or Beery Cheesy Soup or Soupy Cheesy Beer

Eleanorigby's Beer Cheese Soup or Cheesy Beer Soup or Beery Cheesy Soup or Soupy Cheesy Beer--oh, wait....
From: eleanorigby

I cup milk (I use skim) heated* with
1 can chicken broth (I use College Inn) you can use beef broth, but I never have.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1 can beer or 2/3 of one bottle of beer
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (must be sharp), grated

Optional ingredients:
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced green onions sauted in butter
8 oz mild bulk pork sausage sauted, drained
1 cup pre-cooked broccoli.

I use the onions and add some garlic to taste.

In a heavy, large pot (Dutch oven preferred), melt butter. Saute the onions (and garlic) in the butter until soft. Add flour and stir until dissolved. Cook over gentle heat allowing it to bubble, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk/broth combo; whisk over low heat until smooth. Once all m/b combo is added, add cheddar cheese (and sausage or broccoli or celery). Stir and bring to slow boil, stirring occasionally. I try not to let it get to a boil, but just before a boil, if you follow me.

Turn off heat; add beer and stir well. Reheat over low heat and serve. It keeps well in the fridge, but does thicken up. You can either add more beer to thin it or use it as a fondue (or just enjoy really thick soup like I do). Serve with French bread and salad or whatever you like.

No comments: